Grant's Station was attacked and burned after Ruddles and Martins were taken in 1780:

Grant's Fort

Located in Bourbon County, near Fayette County line and was build in 1779 by Col. John Grant and Capt. William Ellis, the military leader of the Traveling Church, for the use of twenty or thirty families who had come to Bryan Station. A group of sixty Indians from Byrd's war party attacked it in June, 1780, and burned the fort without taking prisoners. Forty men from Bryan's went to their relief and found two men named Stucker and a woman named Mitchell killed. James Ingels, Jr., was born here in November 1779. The fort was rebuilt in 1784 but the Grant family sold to Ingels and moved away. The site is about 1 1/2 miles from Antioch Christian Church near the border of Fayette County. Timothy Peyton was shot by Indians about 2.5 miles SW of the fort. James Stark carried him to the fort where he soon died. His name is preserved in "Peyton's Run."

In a letter written by John Grant, founder of Grant's Station, dated April 24, 1780, to Col. John Todd, delegate at Harrodsburg, he told of those persons who at that time were living in the fort. A list of the names:

John Tamplin, John Jackson, John VanCleave, George Stucker, Samson Culpeper, Stufel Stucker, Philip Drake, Christopher Harris, Wm. VanCleave, Manoah Singleton, Thos. Gilbart, Wm. Liley, Wm. Loving, Robert Harras, Jas. Rowland, Josiah Underwood, Frederick Hunter, Wm. Morrason, James Gray, Henry Millar, Stephen Murphy, Michael Stucker, Esmond Lilley, George Stucker (son), John VanCleave (sons), Samson Hough, Wm. Ellis.

There were six more at the station that he could not "properly call effective," and about seven he daily expected.

George Summitt later (1784) of Summitt's Station, was living at Grant's in 1780, visited Sturgus Station on Bear Grass, 1780, and raised a crop of corn there. (Suit Bourbon County).

Ray Jackson, a descendant of Colonel John Grant, shares some thoughts on Grant's Fort.

Late in September of 1779, a party under the leadership of Colonel John Grant, of North Carolina, established Grant's Station, five miles beyond Bryant's Station, in a direction toward the present town of Paris. The unremitting hostilities, however, of the Indians, rendered life so unendurable that in 1780 the entire party returned to Virginia only to be replaced by new settlers.

The spring of 1780 marked an era in the history of Lexington. The frequency and severity of the Indian depredations rendered life a burden. One day in June the woods surrounding the fort were discovered to be full of Indians. The settlers gathered into the fort with the expectations of a long and desperate siege, but were greatly surprised when, after burning out-standing cabins and destroying crops, the savages disappeared, driving the cattle and horses before them. Their astonishment was greatly increased as was their relief on hearing the distant report of artillery. The conduct of the Indians on this occasion has never been satisfactorily explained. Whether the English Commander, Colonel Byrd, became disgusted at the ruthless mode of warfare, or whether he feared the falling of the Licking river would delay his return is not known.

More detailed information on Grant's Station from our own research site

Copyright © 1997-2011; Designed and maintained by Jon Hagee.